Wednesday, May 30, 2012

“It takes a Gym to raise a Champion”





Everyone has heard the phrase “it takes a village to raise a child”.  I started to think about that in a different way. I said to myself, “Self, what if you’re trying to raise a healthy child?”  and then I answered “If that’s the case, then it will take a gym to raise them”.   After this brief conversation I had with myself, I put a plan into motion. I decided to do away with my Wednesday Crossfit class at Jowell Elementary.  So that left me with just Tuesday and Thursday. The biggest problem with this was that most of my kids live in the Katy area and had no way of commuting to the gym. I had no way of picking them up and bringing them to the gym.  My father had a 1996 Chevy Tahoe that hadn’t been driven in a while.  I had asked for the vehicle before, but he wasn’t giving it up. Just as luck would have it, the property manager at the Condo where he lives put one of them big ugly ass orange “I’m going to tow your car, if you don’t move it stickers” on it. A few days after this happened, I get a birthday call from Dad and he tells me that he wants to give me the Tahoe as a gift. So I pretended to not know about the sticker and graciously accepted the “gift”. So now I was all set to bring the kids to the gym.  I began picking kids or sometimes just one kid and bringing them to the gym. Instantly it made a difference.  The athletes and owners were very accepting of them. As a matter of fact I know have athletes helping me coach them and the owners get just as excited as I do when more kids show up.   I think there have been studies done by people way smarter than me and it shows that removing kids from certain environments can help.  You can choose to believe them or not.  All I’m saying is that I'm trying to raise “Champions “and that has to be done in a Gym!!

No comments:

Post a Comment